Friday, September 14, 2007

Ingrid's on track for New York City

So, I think we have, of 2007, the first hurricane* primed to destroy New York City. Now, I know what you're thinking. There's no trick to it, you just think very predictable things. I don't know if there's anything you can do about it. But, I wouldn't worry. It helps you desire more readily available goods and services. But, to your question,
If Ingrid was Tropical Depression #8 for the 2007 Atlantic Hurricane Season, why when it gets named does that name start with 'I', the 9th letter of the alphabet?
Well, let's see. There have been Andrew, Barry, Chantal (remember Chantal?), Dean, Erin, Felix, Gabrielle, Humberto and now Ingrid. But, the ordering of the names is independent of the ordering of the numbers! So, Humberto grew out of Tropical Depression #9 before Ingrid grew out of TD8, even though TD8 formed before TD9.

Can I just point out that every tropical depression's been named so far?

* -- well, yes. It's a tropical storm now.

No comments: