Monday, September 17, 2007

I saw the TAOS production of the Mikado Tonight

When I sat down, I noticed that the audience for the Taunton Amateur Operatic Society was in their 60s, 70s and 80s, which was a little weird until the show started, and the Gentlemen of Japan were in their 50s, 60s and 70s. Except for Nanki Poo, who was 17. I thought he was 14, as he was so much shorter than everyone else, but apparently he's starting college next month. I, um, respect his courage in singing a part that was far too difficult for him. And for being the only male actor in Act I under 50 (the Mikado himself, who doesn't show up until Act II, I would estimate at around 40.) So often you'll see a production of something where a woman is supposed to be clearly too old to marry the hero, and you -- coming from a culture where women can start thinking about having children in their 40s -- don't buy it. Katisha here, though, really sold it.

It was fun! Except for the tiny, youthful lead, whom I found a little disorienting, I got and enjoyed what I expected, which as a community theater production of the Mikado, which I believe was my first G&S production (I played Pooh Bah, which my mother feels distills my character well.) And, you know? I agree with Yum Yum:

Yes, I am indeed beautiful! Sometimes I sit and wonder, in my artless [American] way, why it is that I am so much more attractive than anybody else in the whole world. Can this be vanity? No! Nature is lovely and rejoices in her loveliness. I am a child of Nature, and take after my mother.


No comments: