Thursday, September 18, 2008

Leahy still concerned about assassination attempt

link
I kind of have to say, if Patrick Leahy is not entirely satisfied with the explanation that a sorority-obsessed government bioweapons researcher tried to kill him before his (the researcher's*) suicide, I'm not.
Sen. Leahy did not say why he believed Dr. Ivins had help and he also cast doubt that the Army scientist was the attacker in the first place.

"If he is the one who sent the letter, I do not believe in any way, shape or manner that he is the only person involved in this attack on Congress and the American people. I do not believe that at all," Sen. Leahy said.

He added: "I believe there are others involved, either as accessories before or accessories after the fact. I believe that there are others out there, I believe there are others who could be charged with murder. I just want you to know how I feel about it, as one of the people who was aimed at in the attack."


* -- Really, parenthetically clarifying the referent of a pronoun seems so David Foster Wallace. As does this footnote. And that stand-alone dependent clause. It seems like everything makes me cry these days, suggesting I'm in the fourth stage of the Kubla-Ross Anger/Denial/Bargaining/Depression/Acceptance stages of grief. Although I don't recall any bargaining per se, possibly because denial was so hard to muster in light of the short story "Good Ol' Neon" in "Oblivion", where DFW muses at length about phoniness and lack of self regard and suicide as the most accessible way to deal with the previous phoniness and lack of self regard issues.

No comments: