Monday, April 17, 2006

Conscientiousness

I have a little theory that says the popularity in the 70s of role playing games -- in which you played someone whose personal characteristics were determined by dice (in the D&D type games, you rolled three six-sided die [and if 'six-sided die' seems redundant, you were clearly never a gamer] to give you Charisma, Wisdom and so forth of 3 to 18, biased toward 10 1/12) -- opened us up to tests like the Myers Briggs, and to generally seeing ourselves as a set of numerical parameters.
The internet feeds into this phenomenon by offering us personality tests. This is a roundabout way of saying I've taken another one. I know, it's a sickness. I'll try to eradicate this behavior.
So, my personal break out isn't so surprising. It's what I get on the Myers Briggs, and every other personality and behavior test. I'm smack dab in the middle. I have, essentially, no personality that you would notice.


Actually, according to that, I only have 98% of a personality altogether.

But, the thing that's got me anxious is the universal personality traits. I have pathologically low conscientiousness. Really, it's amazing to me that I still have the teeth I do and that I can still get credit cards.


Now, if you're a normal, conscientious person, you don't realize how limiting this is. But, my taxes are due in 22 hours, I plan to take a spinning class in less than five, and I'm writing this. It's always been astonishing how little I get done without being lazy. I think the next time I focus on improving a personal trait, this'll be it.
I'll get around to it. It'll get done. Don't worry.

No comments: