Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The people’s right to define marriage

link
As I'm sure you heard, out of staters of all stripes can now get married in Massachusetts. This doesn't affect my pledge to only get married in a fair marriage state, as heterosexuals* were still allowed to come in-state to get married, but it's nice for other people.
Kris Mineau, president of the Massachusetts Family Institute, criticized the vote, saying the legislators’ “arrogance and folly are doing terrible harm to marriage laws across the country and eroding the people’s right to define marriage.”
Anyway, that caught my attention. Do other people have the right to define your marriage? Is that in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR, pronounced 'udder')? What does "the people's right" mean? That these things should be done by referendum? The legislature modified the law -- I think that's how representative democracy work. 'The People' exercised their supposed right to define marriage, they just didn't agree with Kris Mineau.



* -- like, and I can't be too clear about this, myself.

No comments: