Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The MBA explained

link
Did you ever wonder how those people got into business school?
Palm-vein scanning on GMAT test takers... targets "proxy" test taking, a fraud in which applicants hire high-scoring imposters to take the exam in their place. Five years ago, federal authorities broke up a ring of six fraudsters who took more than 590 exams, including GMATs, for customers who paid at least $3,000.
I'm enough of a sucker for a free market that this sounds less like a boondoggle to me than if the government were doing it.

I was accused of cheating on my GMAT myself, incidentally.

GMAC*: You're accused of cheating!
Me: I didn't.
GMAC: Well, OK, then.

They did seem like they could use some beefing up in the investigative department.

* -- Graduate Management Admissions Council, not General Motors Assurance Corporation. They felt I had started a section early. The irony was, it was a computerized test. I didn't have any more control over when it started than they gave me. I've been accused of a lot of things -- I've been guilty about 72 % of the time, just so you don't start thinking it's an unfair world -- but this was one of the most puzzling.

No comments: