Tuesday, December 11, 2007

That's really a nice speech

Maybe I'll look for it on YouTube later. He does use (see link) that "Danger + Opportunity = Risk" trope I dislike so -- it's weird, because that's like "clip art for speeches", and the rest of it is so well constructed.
These are the last few years of decision, but they can be the first years of a bright and hopeful future if we do what we must.

...

We are standing at the most fateful fork in that path. So I want to end as I began, with a vision of two futures, each a palpable possibility, and with a prayer that we will see with vivid clarity the necessity of choosing between those two futures and the urgency of making the right choice now.

I have no idea why Mr. Gore is so hopeful. I'd kind of like to know why he feels there's time left to act. The more decisively we act now, the better off we'll be, but aren't we just choosing between shades of unspeakably grim?

2 comments:

Brad said...

Not only is the trope cliched, it's also just plain wrong:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/005204.html

Rionn Fears Malechem said...

Thanks, Brad. That links to Penn's Victor Mair explaining that the character for crisis is more like danger + inflection point. That's better than my link, which was more critical than informed ;)