Friday, November 30, 2007

MoveOn's moving in to consumer advocacy?

I came to the linked article and its predecessor via a post at TalkingPointsMemo. Apparently, Facebook displays whatever you buy at certain sites on your news feed. This hasn't happened to me, but for the record, I don't want any action I take to be shown on my news feed -- what happens outside of Facebook, stays outside of Facebook.

But, the more interesting thing here is MoveOn.org's brand extension. They started as an organization insisting that Congress stop obsessing about President Clinton's affair, and grew into a good governance organization, very aligned with the Democrats. And kind of slid into a mouthpiece for progressive Democrats, a sort of counterbalance to the Democratic Leadership Committee.

Now, they're doing consumer protections? I'm all for consumer protections, but it seems like a distraction from their main goal. Actually, I don't know what that is. With a name like MoveOn.org, though, they probably have a web site, and it probably has a mission statement. There's this:
MoveOn is a service – a way for busy but concerned citizens to find their political voice in a system dominated by big money and big media.
That sounds nice, although I can't help but wonder how they choose which of the concerns citizens wish to vocalize to focuse on.

No comments: