Saturday, February 23, 2008

Those Wizards? Not in Oz

If you've known me for any length of time, I have at some point mentioned to you that I saw the movie that Lyman Frank Baum made out of his "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz." And that it starts with a bunch of Wizards who go to the moon.

Well, this turns out to be false. I just saw the wizard/moon thing again, at the beginning of "Around the World in 80 Days."A bunch of old men load themselves into a giant bullet and fire it at the moon, where they explode natives by whacking them with umbrellae. I was a fan of a cartoon version of AW80D, I think the one on NBC in 72/73 when I was a child, and I wanted to see the David Niven film, which I've just done. It starts with that short, From the Earth to the Moon, famous for being the first science fiction film, by "that authentic genius" Georges Méliès. It's on YouTube.

YouTube's also got a 1910 version of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz, which according to OzClub, Baum may have written the scenario for.

No comments: