Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Microsoft Agent's on my computer!

I just got this patch notice from Microsoft about my Windows XP installation at home.
A security issue has been identified in Microsoft Agent that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
Oh, my goodness! Do you remember Microsoft Agent*? It was a user interface concept that brought Clippit to the masses, really an intellectual descendant of Microsoft Bob. For like two months in 1996, I was putting genies in everything. It refers to itself as a new technology, so I'm inferring that web page doesn't get updated very often.

Still, it's nice to know they're patching it.

* -- check out the link. The text to speech engine doesn't work for me, so I couldn't get Genie to talk, but the page source is worth checking out just to see 'End Sub' in html -- vbscript on a web page was a perverse signature Microsoft used in the 90s.

No comments: