Sunday, May 28, 2006

Where's the Red Crystal?

At least 4,332 people were killed, according to government figures, and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent said at least 200,000 people were left homeless.
The death toll goes up by a few hundred every time I go to Yahoo! There's a bad thing happening in Asia. The epicenter appears to be on land, so this doesn't fit neatly into my climate change earthquake link theory.

The IFRC and the ICRC, handling humanitarian a nd warfare respectively, are both subordinated by the Standing Commission of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent. And, as you know, the symbol's changed. The inconsistency of "the Red Cross and the Red Crescent" still gnaws at me. I really think it should either be "The Red Crystal" or "The Red Cross, Red Crescent, Red Lion, Red Magen David and other red symbols TBD." But, maybe that's just me being culturally insensitive.

No comments: